Monday, March 5, 2012

Exhausted? Go for a run

Yup.  That's right. I said it.  There are so many things I'm learning that I constantly surprise myself.
I will tell you that I am a coach potato.  I'm the first one to admit it.  I love my little corner of the couch (that I'm in now) with my fleece Martha Stewart blanket and the TV on some crappy show (right now, the Bachelor: the women tell all).  I also am a "bed potato".  My bed is probably my favorite place in the world.  All snuggled up under a big comforter with a couple pillows... yup... heaven.
Anyways, now that that moment is gone... I will also tell you that I am a bad sleeper.  I went to a sleep clinic when I was in college and found out that I have something called non-REM narcolepsy.  Essentially, I don't go into REM sleep at night for several hours, which causes my sleep to be less restful.  However, I fall into a deep stage of sleep within minutes, which is very impressive.  I do get tired during the day and I do occasionally fall asleep during the day (mostly in the evening when I'm just sitting watching TV very passively), but not like I used to (like when driving).  So I get sleepy easily... it's very easy for me to say "I'm sleepy", give into the sleepiness and take a nap.  Sometimes it happens by accident, but I also purposefully climb into my favorite place in the world, my bed, and take my nap.  
HOWEVER... naps are useless for me!  If I can't go into REM sleep, what benefit am I getting?? 
So fast forward to today, I am exxxxxxhhhhhaaaaaauuuuuussssstttteeddddd.  The whole work day dragged.  But my cute little google calendar says, "Run + abs/arms".  Oh gosh, conflict... nap or run??? 
I RAN!
I got off my butt and I went to the gym.  And I'm telling you, I would probably be asleep right now if I didn't go to the gym.  I feel like I've accomplished something.  Normally, I love naps, but I regret them because a nap is not restorative for me and I end up losing time I could have been doing something else (like exercising).
I went to the gym.  It was not the best workout I've ever had.  I did some interval training on the treadmill, and then I did 120 crunches and some free weights.  All in all, it was a productive gym visit.
AND THEN...
I came home and cooked dinner!  For those of you who don't know me, I am no iron chef.  I don't love cooking, and enjoy the fact that Cameron cooks very well.  But I wanted stir fry, so I made us some stir fry.
The moral of the story is that I could have used the time to take an hour long nap, after which, I would have woken up cranky and eaten some garbage-y food and then felt groggy all night.  Instead, my body feels comfortably tired from my workout, but my brain feels energized and alert.
Try it.  Don't go run a marathon after the longest day ever, but get off your butt and do something.  It can make you feel so much better.  And at the very least, you know, you did something.

2 comments:

  1. Do you listen to music while you run? Also, I read the exclamatory "I ran!" statement in the middle of post as "IRAN!" and thought you were either going on a politics rant or decided to run to train for our pending war. I'm glad it was neither of the two. Keep on keeping on, young soldier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I run outside, I listen to music... usually to Eminem or JT. When I'm on the treadmill, I try to go at 7:00pm so that I can watch jeopardy and curse at Alex Trebek. I get jealous that he gets to stand there and do nothing while I'm sweaty and out of breath. I honestly wish I could say I was kidding, but I do get really angry at Alex Trebek specifically when I'm running.

      Thanks for the support! Not going to war, not delving into politics... just running!

      Delete